Saturday, March 2, 2013

Photographic Artist Paul Granese



In this interview I would like to welcome Partner/Co-founder of BSP “Boston Studio Photography” Paul Granese. A brilliant and awesome person that puts a huge amount of efforts to deliver quality work, yet he keeps quiet and don't bring too much attention to himself. It’s noticeable to everyone, how Paul could put an event together to make a successful outcome and to bring joy, and yet with his management skills he keeps all groups organized and maximizes the use of their skills while making sure that each and every individual is getting the recommendation that they deserve.
Enjoy the interview and don't forget to leave a comment.

Hi Paul,

Q. Tell us a little bit about you, and how did you start with Photography?
A. In the darkroom! I started in B&W as a teen and spent a lot of time in the darkroom. I had photos placed in the local newspaper, mostly scenery around town and local events. I studied photography courses in High School and College again with a primary focus on black and white. I studied the Zone System by Ansel Adams and made that a college project. I have not stopped shooting since then.


Q. How long did you live in Boston, and Where is home?
A. My home is west of Boston. I have lived in the Boston area most of my life except for a 5 year stint in California. Today I still live here but I travel very frequently and spend about 1/3 of my time in Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Q. If you don't live in Boston what other place would you chose?
A. Sometimes I think Los Angeles, other times I just want to escape to Belize or DR


Q. When did you buy your first camera and what brand was it?
A. A long time ago and it was a Mamiya.

Q. Do you remember your first picture?
A. No!

Q. Do you consider photography as a hobby or a way of living?
A. It is a way of living but that is not to say that photography is my sole source of income.


Q. What is your specialty?
A. I try to create art rather than create photos. I want the photo to be an expression of who the model is and who I am at the same time. You have this collaboration between two people, a digital device and specialty software and the resultant synergy of those can sometimes be spectacular.

Q. What is your favorite subject to shoot?
A. I shot landscapes and architecture for many years and about 5 years ago started to focus more on people. Portraits and fashion. People, either in a posed setting, or in their life, is now the most interesting subject for me and where I have spent the bulk of my time in the past 5 years.



Q. How many events do you average per year?
A. At BSP West we hold group shoots almost monthly and the coordination and time put into that is significant. Other than that I have attended Photoshop World last year and will be going to the After Dark workshop in May., I also have benefited by having both Brooke Shaden and Bobbi Lane hold workshops at BSP West so by default I attended.

Q. What inspire you to carry the camera and start shooting?
A. I was an artists as a kid, always drawing and painting. Then I discovered the camera and started shooting and was excited by the possibilities of creating art with this new tool.



Q. When you are shooting an event or a portrait session do you like to run the show or do you follow your Clint's directions?
A. I found most clients are looking for direction...they are paying me to supply the creative element to what it is they want captured. I will work within their stated guidelines but after that it is my show.

Q. Do you have an assistant that accompanies you in the events?
A. Sometimes, it depends on the event.

Q. How do you prepare for a photo shoot at the studio?
A. I prepare well in advance. I work with the model beforehand to understand what it is she is trying to capture. Whether it is a portrait or a fashion shot I want to know what they are trying to achieve in a photo session. Then I will exchange sample photos from the web to get an idea of the areas in which we would want to go. Once we are in the studio it is simply a matter of lights, sets, angles, etc that are all just tools in the making of the final product.


Q. How do you prepare for a photo shoot in location?
A. I like to scout the area out beforehand. I look for interesting architecture or settings beyond the typical. For instance I recently did a shoot in Cabarete Beach in Dominican Republic and while the beach was beautiful I scouted around and found an open air yoga hut and a graffiti wall in the skateboard area. These shots proved to be far more interesting than simply girls in bikinis on the beach in the sand.

Q. How many images do you average per event? And how many images do you average per portrait session?
A. I take a lot of shots. I take multiples of every good shot I have lined up to find the one that really captures the model's personality. Also if the model blinks or was off in thought it loses the imagery. I want him or her focused on the camera.

Q. How many images the client gets?
A. All the good ones.


Q. Do you have a favorite photographer that his/her work inspires you?
A. Some of the contemporary ones I like are Brooke Shaden and Lindsay Adler. I think Martin Schoeller does amazing work as well.

Q. What type of cameras do you shoot with, and do you shoot digital or film?
A. I am of the Canon family. I have several cameras, some for studio, and some for travel. All digital.

Q. Which is your favorite lens, that you can't live without, and why?
A. Believe it or not it is a simple 50mm f1.8 Canon lens that is spectacular clarity and low light and costs around $100 on Amazon.

Q. Have you ever broke or lost a camera or valuable equipment?
A. I have had a camera stolen from the carryon bin in a plane.

Q. Do you ever use natural light?
A. I prefer natural light and use it 80% of the time.

Q. What do you use to edit your pictures?
A. I use Lightroom 4 to do the bulk of my image processing and then use Photoshop if I want to play deeper with layers, compositing, and special effect.

Q. Do you shoot raw?
A. It depends on the shoot.

Q. Do you prefer Windows or Mac?
A. MAC!

Q. Do you use other devices like Wacom?
A. Yes I have a Wacom medium sized tablet. I use it for fine touches in Photoshop

Q. How do you showcase your images? Do you use a laptop, iPad, tablet, or prints? And do you have a web site? Can you provide us with the link?
A. Yes. www.PaulGranesePhoto.com

Q. Can you briefly describe for the readers your photographic workflow after an event?
A. I dump all photos into my MAC using the import wizard with Lightroom. I then sort through them on a first pass to remove the obvious bad ones. I go through a second round where I begin doing color and lighting corrections. With Lightroom you can actually copy and paste these corrections from one photo to the next which I do with similar photos. Then I go through a third time being more selective and picking the best in the series that I want to produce as final shots. I will start working on removing blemishes, smoothing skin, brightening eyes, etc. Form this final list there will be some that I wish to perform more in-depth work so I will import those into Photoshop and make additional changes/improvements to.


Q. Do you make your own prints or do you outsource them?
A. I definitely outsource them. Rather than invest in the equipment and toner for prints I invest in my shooting equipment. Besides there are so many good printers available at a reasonable price.

Q. How often you update your equipment, and do you plan on buying any new equipment?
A. I am always picking up something on a regular basis. I am a junkie. Having said that I don't believe the equipment makes the photographer. But better equipment can reduce your limitations.

Q. Do you belong to any photographic organizations?
A. Yes, I belong to NAPP, the National Association of Professional Photographers.

Q. Do you have any personal photographic projects, and can you briefly describe?
A. I am planning a photo excursion to the Dominican Republic. The trip will include shooting locals, models, scenery and the life there. I am planning the trip for May of this year and it is open to any photographers that want to explore this great country with so much beauty.

Q. Anything you’re still learning?
A. I learn every day. I am constantly looking for new ways to express my creativity and to capture the person or the scene in the optimum way to create a work of art rather than a photo. I find myself getting lost in studying light and angles when I am watching a movie. Any photograph that catches my eye I study it to understand how they did it. I continuously take online training courses and go to seminars to learn more. I feel if you stop learning and growing then you dead end your creativity.



Q. Last subject, tell us a little about BSP West “Boston Studio Photography West”?
A. BSP West is the sister studio to Boston Studio Photography in Boston. Boston Studio Photography was opened in March 2010 by me and Younes Jabir. BSP West opened one year ago in Clinton, MA. The idea behind the studios is to offer a virtual private studio for photographers who require studio space but don't want to carry the cost of maintaining their own. We are a member-based co-op studio where members can use the studio as much as they like 8 AM-10 PM 7 days / week. Members have their own keys and book their time with an online calendar. They also have a secure storage area for their equipment. Both studios have been very successful in building a great membership base as well as being rented by non-members for short term shoots. At BSP West we are in a circa 1800 mill building. The main studio space has two 600 sq ft shooting bays along with makeup and stylist stations and a dressing room. In addition we have 5 additional themed rooms including a Victorian Parlor, a powder room, a large, classic styled bedroom, an ultra-modern high key room and a classically styled board room. We also have the run of the building at BSP West so we have a 10,000 sq ft loft for edgier shots, a spiral staircase and a full basement. The studio has 14 foot ceilings and 8 foot windows with tons of natural light. It is a beautiful space and some have joined as members simply for the themed rooms themselves.
It's always fun to meet with Paul. You will always feel that you know him since the first day at school. When talking to Paul about photography you can feel the confidence on his words. His eyes sparkles with excitement, and his answers to any questions are supported with knowledge and facts. I would like to invite all of you photographers to give him a visit at BSP West. You can't imagine the place without seeing what Paul is describing. BSP and BSP West are every photographer dream studio. Possibilities and creativities are only limited by the time you willing to give.  It's a world without boarder lines.
To see more of Paul's art and to contact him please visit his website at http://www.paulgranesephoto.com/

       Photographer Paul Granese


Thank you Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment